Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Alabama Virtual Library

The Alabama Virtual Library (AVL) is basically an on-line library with such resources as journal, magazine, and newspaper articles. The AVL is an informative and reliable on-line resource for research readily available to all state of Alabama residents. AVL can be accessed from any computer by simple obtaining an AVL card from a local library. The school system can also issue AVL cards to their students,teachers, and faculty as well.

The AVL has many great resources for research. You can begin your research by selecting an age group(elementary, middle, or high school; college or university; general public), a topic (i.e. science, social science, news, reference, etc), browsing a particular magazine or journal, or by searching for a specific database. There is a variety of databases to search from such as Britannica Elementary and Kids Search for elementary-aged students or the Oxford English dictionary for the general public.

I think the AVL is a terrific and informative website that is user friendly. I found many things interesting on the website as I browsed through the High School category, since that is what level I will be teaching at in the near future. I also found some resources that are of interest to me. I will, personally, use this website for my own future research needs and will pass this information on to others as well.

1 comment:

Jennifer Averitt said...

Good job. Keep up the good work.